A: 1503 Santa Rosa Road, Suite 120, Henrico, VA 23229
P: (804) 477-1720
Jacob graduated from the University of Richmond School of Law and was accepted to the Virginia Bar in 2012. Less than 30 days after being admitted to the bar, Jacob launched his own legal practice.
What began in a home office has quickly grown to a practice with multiple attorneys and staff serving thousands of clients throughout both the Commonwealth of Virginia and the broader world.
Jacob has personally handled more than one thousand immigration matters ranging from family-based green cards, DACA, and deportation defense to business immigration matters such as H-1B and EB-5 visas.
Jacob was previously a principal of a USCIS designated EB-5 Regional Center, Utah Global Investments. He facilitated the sale of the Regional Center in 2022.
As an extension of the firm’s immigration practice, Jacob has also led the firm in litigation over the detention and treatment of immigrants.
Jacob currently teaches an Immigrant Rights practicum course as adjunct faculty at the University of Richmond School of Law.
In addition to immigration, Jacob helps businesses and non-profit organizations with issues ranging from branding, marketing, and trademark registration to business registration, management, and contractual matters.
Jacob Tingen is the Managing Partner of Tingen Law, PLLC.
- Business Law
- Intellectual Property
- Personal Injury
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D. 2012
- Brigham Young University, B.A. 2007
- Virginia State Bar
- Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
Personal and Professional Memberships
- Adjunct Faculty at the University of Richmond School of Law
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- 2023 Commission Pro Bono Service Honor Roll Member
Publications and Lectures
- “Immigration Law in the Gaming Industry.” Panel Presentation, PAX East, April 22, 2022.
- “A Crash Course in Legal Marketing: Content Marketing and the Client Cycle.” Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Lecture, University of Richmond Jolt Symposium, April 24, 2020.
- “The Impact of Attorney General Certification on U.S. Immigration Courts.” Lecture, VSB Annual Meeting from the Virginia State Bar, Virginia Beach, VA, June 14, 2019.
- “Understanding the Immigration Conversation.” Lecture, DHS Class from VCU, Richmond, VA, February 27, 2019.
- “Immigration Issues in Richmond.” Panel Moderator, Common Book Event from VCU, Richmond, VA, October 15, 2018.
- “Asylum and Refugee Process & Policy.” Lecture, Law Over Lunch CLE from UR Downtown, Richmond, VA, October 2, 2018.
- “When the American Dream is Denied to Some: Challenging Naturalization and Green Card Delays.” Lecture, Representing Muslims and Arab-Americans in Challenging Times from Project South, University of Richmond, VA, January 26, 2018.
- “Unconstitutionality of Over-Detention.” Panel Discussion, ACLU Legal Summit, University of Richmond, VA, November 17, 2017.
- “Summer Success in the Private Sector.” Panel Discussion, University of Richmond School of Law, University of Richmond, VA, April 6, 2017.
- “Content Marketing for Lawyers and Law Firms.” Lecture, Technology Bootcamp from University of Richmond School of Law, University of Richmond, VA, March 22, 2016.
- “Presentation on Asylum and U Visas.” Lecture, Staff Training from Family Lifeline, Richmond, VA, February 25, 2016.
- “Crecer Su Negocio con el Uso de la Tecnologia.” Lecture, Business Summit from Virginia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Annandale, VA, May 30, 2013.
- Technologies-That-Must-Not-Be-Named: Understanding and Implementing Advanced Search Technologies in E-Discovery, 19 Rich. J.L. & Tech 2 (2012).
- Bethany Rabe, “Adapting the USPTO’s Unlawful Use Doctrine for the Federal Courts,” Wake Forest Journal of Business and Intellectual Property Law vol. 17, no. 3 (Spring 2017): 286-348.
Recent Articles from the Knowledge Base
The Ultimate Business Owner’s Handbook
The Ultimate Business Owner’s Handbook Welcome to the Ultimate Business Owner’s Handbook, your comprehensive guide to legal strategies for business formation, compliance, and growth. As a business owner, it’s crucial to understand the legal aspects of running a successful company. In this handbook, we’ll share our expertise to help you
Advanced ChatGPT Strategies for Lawyers (And Everyone Else!)
Advanced ChatGPT Strategies forLawyers (And Everyone Else!) ChatGPT is an amazing new AI tool, and we wanted to jump in and start sharing what we’re discovering about how to use it. This guide is a working article, meaning that we plan to continue adding to it over time. Below you’ll
Getting a Green Card: The Ultimate Guide for Immediate Family of U.S. Citizens
Getting a Green Card: The Ultimate Guide for Immediate Family of U.S. Citizens This comprehensive guide will help spouses, children, and parents of U.S. citizens get a green card as quickly as possible. Below, we’ll cover: Who is an Immediate Relative Who is eligible to Adjust Status (and get a
How to Close a Business in Virginia: A 3-Step Guide
It’s relatively easy to close a business in Virginia, provided you follow the advice or an attorney and the rules outlined in the Virginia Code.
How to Choose a Strong Business Name in Virginia: Essential Tips and Tricks
Choosing a strong business name is an essential part of growing your brand and maintaining profitability in the long term.
How to Open a Business Bank Account
Opening a business bank account is an essential part of maintaining your business’s limited liability protections and ongoing financial success.
“Do you know how hard it is to find a lawyer that you can trust? I’m always telling people about Tingen & Williams. Jacob [Tingen] has been our lawyer for 3 years now and he is excellent. He has been great for us, the very best. I wouldn’t be in school right now if it wasn’t for Jacob. Tingen Law really is number 1.”
Need an Attorney?
Even with all this helpful information, sometimes you just need to talk.