Jacob Tingen is the managing partner of Tingen Law, PLLC. Since his admission to the Virginia Bar in 2012, Mr. Tingen has served thousands of clients within the Commonwealth of Virginia and beyond.
His experience ranges from advising businesses on a variety of topics from business structure and intellectual property to assisting families and individuals with complex immigration matters.
From 2018 to 2022, Mr. Tingen was a principal of an EB-5 regional center, Utah Global Investments. Through the EB-5 immigrant investor visa program, regional centers coordinate opportunities for immigrants who are able to invest approximately $1,000,000 in U.S. businesses and create jobs. Mr. Tingen sold his interest in UGI in 2022.
In addition to complex legal matters, Mr. Tingen has blended his legal and marketing skillsets to leverage solutions that help his clients develop, protect, and market their IP in a way that creates long-term value. He regularly consults businesses in this cross-section between law and marketing.
Mr. Tingen earned his J.D. from the University of Richmond School of Law and his B.A. from Brigham Young University. As adjunct faculty at the University of Richmond School of Law, Mr. Tingen teaches the Immigrant Rights practicum course where he fulfills his personal commitment to pro bono service.
In addition, Mr. Tingen is a sought-after speaker and lecturer on numerous legal topics, from immigration law in the gaming industry to content marketing.
- Business Law
- Intellectual Property
- Personal Injury
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D. 2012
- Brigham Young University, B.A. 2007
- Virginia State Bar
- Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
Personal and Professional Memberships
- Adjunct Faculty at the University of Richmond School of Law
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- 2023 Commission Pro Bono Service Honor Roll Member
Publications and Lectures
- “Immigration Law in the Gaming Industry.” Panel Presentation, PAX East, April 22, 2022.
- “A Crash Course in Legal Marketing: Content Marketing and the Client Cycle.” Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Lecture, University of Richmond Jolt Symposium, April 24, 2020.
- “The Impact of Attorney General Certification on U.S. Immigration Courts.” Lecture, VSB Annual Meeting from the Virginia State Bar, Virginia Beach, VA, June 14, 2019.
- “Understanding the Immigration Conversation.” Lecture, DHS Class from VCU, Richmond, VA, February 27, 2019.
- “Immigration Issues in Richmond.” Panel Moderator, Common Book Event from VCU, Richmond, VA, October 15, 2018.
- “Asylum and Refugee Process & Policy.” Lecture, Law Over Lunch CLE from UR Downtown, Richmond, VA, October 2, 2018.
- “When the American Dream is Denied to Some: Challenging Naturalization and Green Card Delays.” Lecture, Representing Muslims and Arab-Americans in Challenging Times from Project South, University of Richmond, VA, January 26, 2018.
- “Unconstitutionality of Over-Detention.” Panel Discussion, ACLU Legal Summit, University of Richmond, VA, November 17, 2017.
- “Summer Success in the Private Sector.” Panel Discussion, University of Richmond School of Law, University of Richmond, VA, April 6, 2017.
- “Content Marketing for Lawyers and Law Firms.” Lecture, Technology Bootcamp from University of Richmond School of Law, University of Richmond, VA, March 22, 2016.
- “Presentation on Asylum and U Visas.” Lecture, Staff Training from Family Lifeline, Richmond, VA, February 25, 2016.
- “Crecer Su Negocio con el Uso de la Tecnologia.” Lecture, Business Summit from Virginia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Annandale, VA, May 30, 2013.
- Technologies-That-Must-Not-Be-Named: Understanding and Implementing Advanced Search Technologies in E-Discovery, 19 Rich. J.L. & Tech 2 (2012).
- Bethany Rabe, “Adapting the USPTO’s Unlawful Use Doctrine for the Federal Courts,” Wake Forest Journal of Business and Intellectual Property Law vol. 17, no. 3 (Spring 2017): 286-348.
Recent Articles from the Knowledge Base
The Ultimate Business Owner’s Handbook: Legal Strategies for Success from a Business Lawyer Welcome to the Ultimate Business Owner’s Handbook: Legal Strategies for Success from a Business Lawyer, your comprehensive guide to legal strategies for business formation, compliance, and growth. As a business owner, it’s crucial to understand the legal
Advanced ChatGPT Strategies forLawyers (And Everyone Else!) ChatGPT is an amazing new AI tool, and we wanted to jump in and start sharing what we’re discovering about how to use it. This guide is a working article, meaning that we plan to continue adding to it over time. Below you’ll
Getting a Green Card: The Ultimate Guide for Immediate Family of U.S. Citizens This comprehensive guide will help spouses, children, and parents of U.S. citizens get a green card as quickly as possible. Below, we’ll cover: Who is an Immediate Relative Who is eligible to Adjust Status (and get a
It’s relatively easy to close a business in Virginia, provided you follow the advice or an attorney and the rules outlined in the Virginia Code.
Choosing a strong business name is an essential part of growing your brand and maintaining profitability in the long term.
“Do you know how hard it is to find a lawyer that you can trust? I’m always telling people about Tingen & Williams. Jacob [Tingen] has been our lawyer for 3 years now and he is excellent. He has been great for us, the very best. I wouldn’t be in school right now if it wasn’t for Jacob. Tingen Law really is number 1.”
Need an Attorney?
Even with all this helpful information, sometimes you just need to talk.